Friday, November 17, 2017

Reaching 10k - Then and Now

As I continue through the constant happy drudgery of the Thanksgiving cards, today is 1986 Topps which is a set I will look to complete at some point, but today I am just adding to and getting over 50% now. Th lot provided about 100 new cards for the set, and some nice errors and Jays as per below, but there were a good 30-400 which were just too dirty to keep for myself unfortunately.

A sample of the keepers...


Quick thoughts on these - love the turn back the clock subset, wish it was more cards, got a few All Star subset cards, and otherwise nice to get some of the stars out of the way like Reggie Jackson.




As seems to be the case, many Jays to be had, although about half of these I had to try and flatten a bit with a slight curve to them, but alright still.


One true error card (Ryne), and three nicely miscut cards which will join the error binder as well. Nice for the record breaker insert to be so miscut

Anyway, for the Santa Lot, I have to say, the last card from this pack was the most appropriate from it to be card number 10k from the Santa Lot, and highlights today.

Highlight:

I do really like this insert set, though this card isn't one of my favourites. I do like the comparison aspect and highlighting past stars.

The rest
Keepers:

It wasn't the only 2007 Topps Heritage card to come out with a number of others here. Seems to be a patch given the last week or so of cards.

Traders:


Yeah - so I think that bumps me up to 7 Zach Randolph 2003-04 SP Authentic cards....about 7 more than I ever needed.

So here we are - 10,000 cards into the Santa Lot. I think I am sticking to the fact we are going to get to about 12,000 (again, ad said 12k to 15k, so that would be fine). I can't believe I have been going at this on and off for two years. Definitely won't last all of a third....maybe about 6 months depending on how many short breaks I take to cover other things. For example, the December break to get through that box of Toronto cards I picked up for $5....it should be pretty interesting!

Through 10000:
Specific Accomplishments:
- Complete 2003-04 SP Authentic Basketball (90 card pure base)
- Complete 2005 Upper Deck Classics (100 card pure base)
- 3 Complete 2007-08 UD McDonald's Hockey Checklist Subsets (6 cards)
- 1973-74 O-Pee-Chee Hockey #30 Bobby Orr (All-Star)
- 2004-05 Upper Deck Legends Classics Platinum #64 Marcel Dionne Platinum 06/10
- 2007-08 Topps Base and 1957-58 Variations Basketball  #112 Kevin Durant (Rookie)
- 2009-10 Topps #321 Stephen Curry (Rookie)
Hockey Baseball Basketball Football Austin Powers Other
Toronto 159 19
Inserts / Var Kept 339 50
Error 16 2
Keep 1951 306
Doubles/Sell 1606 226 1534 2997 299 37
Doubles Inserts / Var 119 4 125 211

3 comments:

  1. Dang, that's a lot of Zach Randolph. Maybe Madding needs one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sucks that about 5 months ago I got rid of hundreds of 86T cards. I probably could have had you at close to 95% complete. At least you got some of the ones I still had for various reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate the thought, and too bad on the timing, but no worries! :)

      Delete