Monday, September 12, 2016

SP Game Used base set

I presume the name SP Game Used for a set of cards is because game used cards are the highlight of the series (I know, I know - the background ties in the name). I find it odd to collect a base set of SP Game Used - unless all the base cards were in fact game used cards...I'd like that better than just the design.

Highlights:

Happy to get a couple cards from this new to me set (only have one card which we saw here before - a serial numbered rookie card). Decent enough design considering the context of the photos has been taken away. I get that the background design is of game used jersey materials, but I feel it is just taunting us with what the cards should be...

The rest
Keepers:

Something about the Havlat card reminds me so much of Donald Trump Jr from a few years ago when I was watching the Apprentice (okay maybe 10 years ago) - vague lookalikes.

Traders:

It makes me a bit sad that we have seen more Austin Power cards than baseball cards so far in the Santa Lot. That said, I can't recall a baseball card that necessarily looks anything like the Felicity Shagwell card....so the Austin set has that going for it I guess...

The 2004 Leaf Rookie & Stars set checklist cards are nice with a good photo shot of teammates on the front - definitely a nice way to do checklist cards.

Through 3980 cards:
Specific Accomplishments:
- Complete 2003-04 SP Authentic Basketball (90 card pure base)
- Complete 2007-08 UD McDonald's Hockey Checklist Subset (6 cards)
- 1973-74 O-Pee-Chee Hockey #30 Bobby Orr (All-Star)
- 2004-05 Upper Deck Legends Classics Platinum Hockey #64 Marcel Dionne 06/10
- 2007-08 Topps 1957-58 Variations Basketball  #112 Kevin Durant (Rookie)
Hockey Baseball Basketball Football Austin Powers Other
Toronto 77 6
Inserts / Var Kept 128 7
Error 11 1
Keep 1008 121
Doubles/Sell 424 25 858 920 236 19
Doubles Inserts / Var 37 1 51 50

No comments:

Post a Comment