Tuesday, June 25, 2024

This Will Be Extended

I didn't get a chance to write briefly on the Stanley Cup final yesterday, but it was quite the series and almost full comeback by the Oilers. A shame they couldn't pull out Game 7, but it is what it is. McDavid showed he can get over that playoff hump that Auston and company seem to still be stifled by. There's always next year I guess...Leafs are going to do it next year, right?

I haven't been collecting the 2020-21 Upper Deck flagship hockey set - wasn't on my radar, had my Leaf base cards, but then I saw a little sale. 401games was selling a box of extended fat packs for about $40CDN. I figured 18 fat packs, less than $3 each, not a bad price for a fun rip. Should get most of the base set of the Extended part of the base set done, and who knows, may get an interesting insert or two along the way. So, in the interest of this very blog and my own enjoyment, here we are. I went through my traders and I actually have almost 100 of the 730 card set before starting on these and if I get most of the extended base set, that should get me to about 320 cards all in which isn't too shabby. Being a recent base set, trading for cards would be on the easier side too....save for those YoungGuns which are always a paid.


One pack aside for the unopened pack collection, and here are the pack odds up close and personal for those interested (like me):


Let's take a rip of the first of what will then be 17 packs to open which, even at just 20 cards a pack from the base, would have the opportunity to get the extended set near done from a base set perspective.


Gogliano is a sharp looking card with the matching green background. Same is true with Andersson. Not a fan of the horizontal cards, but decent photos at least for them.


I get the extended series is like a rookies and traded stand alone product with some dabbling of all star type cards, but a bit surprised they don't bloat it to 250 cards to match series 1 and series 2.


There we have some of the All Star subset cards I mentioned. A clean sweep of cards I needed which is great, and the stars of the pack...

Though I have never opened a pack of extended until today, this is my 8th Wayne Simmonds base card from this set. Still all good, I'm just impressed I have had that many come into my collection without any being from packs until now.

Last up is a Dazzler of the Orange variety which I believe is exclusive to fat packs and tins. P.O. Joseph has spent parts of the 4 seasons all with Pittsburgh so has been able to stick around. Nice card that plays off well with the Pittsburgh yellow and with these every 10 packs, will be interesting to see if I get another.

No comments:

Post a Comment