Monday, April 11, 2016

Throwbacks

Before the Santa 20 some packs I picked up off ebay...

The 1993-94 PowerPlay cards are a bit oversized, and I can't say I have ever seen them before - very tempting to open the pack but....no. Otherwise, great to get a few mid-90s packs from sets that I never really got into, but now have some packs to represent in the collection. No real memories with these sets though - just not my period of time related to collecting...

As more time passes, year by year, I "get it" more and more. Topps baseball does it with Heritage and Archives, O Pee Chee in hockey does it with their parallels. Nostalgia by way of using past designs in new sets. When it really started hitting it's stride (and I was still not back into collecting), it doesn't draw me the way it does those who are a bit older. I didn't grow up with the sets of the 70s or earlier.

As we move into these sets using designs from the 80s, I get it. Seeing the players of today with the designs that I fondly remember from my youth - does have a certain draw to it.

Highlights:

Perfect example of above, and an insert to keep...

The rest
Keepers:

Not much for keeps today, but a nice Al MacInnis atleast, even if it is from the "junk wax" era.

Traders:

A wide variety of cards here...highlighted by fond memories of Tracy McGrady in Toronto - another Raptor that could have made Toronto basketball very different if they stuck around longer.

Summary (through 1660 cards):
Specific Accomplishments:
- Completed 2007-08 Upper Deck McDonald's Checklist Subset (6 cards)
Hockey Baseball Basketball Football Austin Powers ET Star Wars Rocky KISS Clue
Toronto 32 3                
Inserts / Var Kept 74 3                
Error 9 1                
Keep 447 68                
Doubles/Sell 147 8 336 235 226 8 5 2 3 1
Doubles Inserts / Var 11 11 30            

2 comments:

  1. Is it bad that I like those 7th Inning Sketch juniors cards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not if it means you want them - I can always set them aside...just say the word.

      Delete