Friday, February 10, 2017

Some serial keepers and a Billy surprise

Received a surprise package from Billy of Cardboard History  which included...

A complete set (36 cards) of the 1992 Toronto Oh Henry Fire Safety set. I really like the set, and it is a great time of the Jays obviously. Just showing a few highlights here. Billy had said earlier he would send this to me if he could find it - so very glad he did.


He also threw in a couple additional cards - I presume early Toronto dupes from his forray into hockey cards - and I am happy to get them...


Especially the Todd Gill rookie card which is new for my collection from a great set in it's own way - 1990-91 Pro Set.

A great thank you to Billy for these!

There have been a number of occasions when I have come across serial numbered cards out of the Santa Lot, and a lot of the time they end up being basketball cards or football cards, but looks like today I finally lucked out with a couple today...

Highlights:

Let's get the obligatory Toronto card out of the way for today. At least there is one, even if it is a repeat. Then there are these:


I don't care that these are supposedly considered part of the base set in numbering. They are serial numbered cards so for that, I keep them. I don't mind the layout though, and it makes sense to play of the "regular" base card design in good part because they have been numbered for the base set. I don't know why the serial numbering itself isn't in a better spot, and I prefer a more indented/stamped number myself.

The rest
Keepers:

You have to like team cards, and when done in a retro style, even better. Being able to then also add a couple more cards to the 2007-08 Upper Deck Hockey series two set - and these are pretty nice all around.

Traders:

I don't believe there have been many of the Select Rookie cards pulled, and here we have three. I don't mind the big "ROOKIE" wording on the front when it doesn't interfere with the card otherwise, so these work for me.

Through 6520 cards:
Specific Accomplishments:
- Complete 2003-04 SP Authentic Basketball (90 card pure base)
- 3 Complete 2007-08 UD McDonald's Hockey Checklist Subsets (6 cards)
- 1973-74 O-Pee-Chee Hockey #30 Bobby Orr (All-Star)
- 2004-05 Upper Deck Legends Classics Platinum Hockey #64 Marcel Dionne 06/10
- 2007-08 Topps 1957-58 Variations Basketball  #112 Kevin Durant (Rookie)
Hockey Baseball Basketball Football Austin Powers Other
Toronto 106 11
Inserts / Var Kept 217 28
Error 15 2
Keep 1395 205
Doubles/Sell 841 100 1139 1928 250 26
Doubles Inserts / Var 75 1 77 104

4 comments:

  1. You presume correctly 😁 I had been looking for the Jays set for you for about a year now, it turns out they were in a tape full of vhs tapes for some reason. It's funny, a non-card collector from Toronto got them when they were new and wanted the space so he sent me two copies of the set, and now I've sent one back to Canada, kind of interesting to me. Of course one of the sets is part of my collection. Glad you got them, and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Very cool and glad you found it! Also will always (happy with and leaf dupes you ever get. :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah - auto correct does some funny things - obviously meant to say, I would be happy with any Leaf duplicates you ever get.

      Delete