Thursday, April 2, 2020

2017 Topps Series 1 Fat Packs

Here is a pick up from my US trip last year, but not from Dave & Adams, but instead, clearance at the local Walmart near where we stayed in Niagara Falls on the US side.

2017 Topps flagship is a set I knew I would be collecting as I do have a decent part of it, given the size, and this was a quick way (hopefully) to pick up another 100 cards for the base set give or take.

Will I end up doing that well? Let's take a look over the next few days to figure it out.



I bought four of them, so one goes into the unopened pack collections as usual, and the scoring is as follows...

Base Card 1
Base Sports Card Need 3
Base Wrestling Card Need 4
Base Variation / Short Print Card Odds
Base Toronto Card 15
Base Toronto Variation / Short Print Card 5 * Odds
Insert Card Odds
Toronto Insert Card 5 * Odds
Box Bonus Cards Per Pack Odds
Error Card Double Score

Oh, and I had 72 base cards of the 700 before getting into these packs - not too many, so should have a got uptick.

Let's hit the smallest piles first...the dupes...



The Betts is still a really nice card.

Next, the Jays...



Did really well in the pack getting 4 Jays. All were doubles, but will need those for the set if I do complete it. That team card is one of my favourite because it covers the big names at the time all in one shot.

The other though when seeing these cards - how often do the runner ups appear on League Leader cards? J.A. Happ was second in wins, but gets to be on the card. I haven't looked into it, but would be interesting to review in a given year, or few years. Something to be pondered another time.



We have four inserts as well which are all new, and good keepers. I like the throwback 1987 design, though the version here is lighter than the actual 1987 design. The 5 Tool insert is interesting, but a bit too much going on the front. I don't need 5 images on one front, but get the tie in to the 5 Tool insert set naming.

The base keepers are plentiful.



The Chicago card - you know, noting that World Series - is a good solid team card as well.

An excellent pack to start, and two more to go.

1 Pack, 36 Cards, 148 Points

3 comments:

  1. Nice rip. I'm seeing a lot of empty stadium seats in those cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss Niagara Falls. I used to go there every year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to visit Niagara Falls. If I ever make it out there, maybe I'll hit up the Walmart, buy some packs, and bust them there at the falls.

    ReplyDelete