Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Checklist Some Childhood Memories

Before we get to more 2026 Lot cards, a trade recap with first time trade partner TCDB member BenHurQc who helped me with nearly completing a McDonalds hockey card set.


I am now just a single card shy of completing the 1996-97 Pinnacle McDonald's set, I have a duplicate need for the Timmies set from 2025-26 and...

A sweet full page from the 2026 National Hockey Card Day release with a Gilmour included. There is actually a second full page with a different Leaf card I need to also get, but one out of two is pretty sweet to pick up in a trade, so thank you!

The 2026 Lot gives a jab of the feelies today with some baseball cards that bring on the nostalgia.


These three are keepers with one set builder, one Jays card (yes, a team checklist counts) and one sticker insert I didn't have. What they all have in common is that these were sets I remember collecting when I was first really getting into baseball cards. The late 80s / early 90s, cards were everywhere and being a math nut, stats and the sport....all in cards, was awesome.

I miss one aspect of collecting at that time - the value of the cards. I mean, being overproduced, there were very few cards that you couldn't afford, and if you liked the sport for what it was and the hobby for collecting - you could pretty much find whatever you wanted to collect. How times have changed.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good signature card or relic, or thick serial numbered card, but the prices and costs with the hobby are just insane. I think in large part because it isn't kids collecting anymore, it's the adults who use to collect and now have disposable income to spend on it. I do wonder how many real collectors there are out there, say under the age of 25. I don't think it's anything like it was back in the 80s.


Back when you would purposely take apart cards to make a puzzle. I guess that's not too far fetched since we now have rip cards where you are forced to decide whether to keep a card not knowing what is inside it, or ruin a card to find out.

I mean, who would want to keep something in an original package, never knowing what the contents are inside....did I mention I have about 1,000 unopened different packs across wrestling, baseball, hockey and Magic?


Not sure how many people who collect baseball cards can't recognize those pieces of Willie - whether you like them or not.



1 comment:

  1. I might have one or two students (out of 150) who collect sports cards... compared to the 15 to 20 who collect Pokemon. Obviously I wish more collected sports stuff, but I'm just happy that they're collecting something. Heck... I even enjoyed them showing off their Labubu dolls 😂

    ReplyDelete