Monday, December 24, 2018

Box Breaking Early

I know it's the day before Christmas, and I really should wait, but I do have a few blaster boxes to open, and I have a plan for what I want to do come January with the blog, so I have about a week to get through the three boxes. Actually, I then have plenty of boxes to break come the new year as well.

It's all nice and easy to open boxes, blasters and packs, but I was wondering if I could figure out a decent measure for seeing how good one pack or blaster or box would be compared to another. The result? a quick scoring average system should do the trick.

Is it scientific?...no

Is it biased?....absolutely, but we each collect different things

Is it comparable from one box to another?....I have no idea yet, consider it a work in progress, but gives me a way to, in my mind, try and see what has been worth the purchase or not.I am hoping by testing it on these three blasters, can see if it is worthwhile or not. I am basing it with a blaster with about 10 packs in it as being the standard - if there are less packs, the thought being that more "hits" should make up for it not being a dud.

Base card - 1 point (yes, all cards get a point)
Base card need - 2 points
Base variation card - 20 points
Base card Toronto card - 5 points
Base variation Toronto card - 50 points
Insert Card bonus - points based on odds - if 1 in 4 - worth 4 points, double if a Toronto card

This should give heavy weighting to long odd cards, which is in some ways, what makes or breaks a box - getting something at long odds or not - so makes sense this should effect points the most. Get a card that is longer than 1 in 100 packs or more, should really boost the "value" - at least that was my thinking.

Total points dividend by total cards - and you get an average. This should mean that first boxes of a set get an advantage, as I need more base, but also weight insert odds, so one awesome hit should make the box a nice win.

Will this work in any way, shape or form? No idea...but I do know that my starting point with the set is that I only have 12 base cards, so should see lots of adds for the base set.

I am going to start with 2018 Opening Day - might as well end the year with a set that was early in the year - this is about as current as I get! I'll open a few packs today, tomorrow, and finish on boxing day I think, and see how this point total doo-dad works. I'll do it for the next couple boxes and see going into the new year if I want to bother, and maybe keep a comparative total over the year to compare boxes...



Here is the box and the odds for reference.

Pack 1:




A nice start to the pack, three needs and an Altuve base card.



The insert (one in 5 packs) was cut off by my scanner...oops...but that is no knock on Buster or the design. I haven't seen many of these in hand, but the design is pretty nice, but photo being that bit different is even better.





We get three more needs and based on the pack...that's 17 points for 7 cards.

Pack 2:


Okay, not a big fan of the wave graphic, but with the green, this looks pretty nice - green jersey, green grass, green logo wave...



Well, Seattle hot back here, and getting Cano as one is excellent too.




Really like the Tapia for the different background and working outfit from slides earlier in the game day.



















This is so much awesome. I don't know why I am a sucker for mascot cards, but so glad they brought these out as an insert set lately. Also don't mind these are common inserts at one per four packs.

Points - 16 for the pack, 33 for 14 cards total

Pack 3:


Here is another great photo



I generally like retro uniforms, but these retro trying uniforms for Tampa Bay are just so....bad....I have nothing nice to say about them....



Personally, Sweet Caroline is a song I associate with university because it was used for one of the songs the spirit team sang when I was on it (sucked into it by my cousin who was running it that year - wouldn't have done it otherwise...). Yeah, that was around 2002, so about the time it became standard 8th inning song for the Sox.



Pujols is another solid pickup. Unfortunate that three packs in and no Jays, but here....another 16 points, so three packs being 49 points for 21 cards.

To be continued tomorrow...have a great Christmas Eve with yours, and a great Christmas morning too.

No comments:

Post a Comment