I did another "go through all the 401games singles and see if I can backfill cards for under a buck each" exercise again, and there were a good bunch...again....
A great start though as the Mishra's Factory is the fourth land I would collect from that specific Duel Deck set - Elspeth vs. Tezzseret and the Temple of the False Gods is the standalone land for my collection from the Elspeth vs. Kiora Duel Deck.
Sharpener Pitchfork is the last of three artifacts for another "set" completion for me - no more in the pick ups, but knocking off three like that, nice!
Newer sets get me a bit frustrated with how the base set can now include a base card, full art, or extended art, or other such different forms of the same card. I'd rather they be treated as inserts, but it's not for me to say unfortunately. The good is, sometimes these can still then be picked up cheap like The Mana Rig here.
I wonder how many Mind Stones I have, seem to be picking up a lot of versions recently.
How can you not love the artwork on many of the cards. I mean, that Suspicious Bookcase is just fantastic.
Another Mind Stone....just saying...
Another small annoyance at times - when the base set includes multiple versions of the same card, just for different artwork, and it's not a basic land. I get basic lands being done this way, as they always have been, since you need to have so many in your deck, and the variety of look is nice, but for other cards - pick an artwork and stick to one, or if you really have to, go the way of a short print variation, but not giving a card another printing slot like they did with this Temple of the False Gods.
Last pick ups are from 2001, and show that even back then, some cards did get the different art / double slot inclusion on the base set, like Phyrexian War Beast. I remember having a dozen of the cards back on it's first printing and it's because of the exact issue - showing up in both slots regularly. To think, there was a time a 3/4 for 3 was a solid card and you just tried to work around the downside.









No comments:
Post a Comment