Friday, June 24, 2016

Legend Killer

Yeah, so a quick wrestling tie in with the title. I grew up on wrestling (WWF/WWE) and have watch Monday Night Raw religiously since it began, tuned into the Monday night wars, attitude era, the Smackdown 6, decade of John Cena, summer of Punk and still to this day.

One of the wrestlers of the last decade I enjoyed (for the most part) even if he was a bit of a jerk backstage (his words from one of the Beyond The Ring specials on WWE network - only 11.99 a month in Canada) was Randy Orton. Specifically in his "Legend Killer" gimmick.

So why do I bring this up? Two reasons - first - this Santa Lot 20 kills off a number of Classic Legends cards from the 2004-05 Legends Classic set. Secondly, because I have been toying back and forth on whether I want to really add wrestling cards to something I actively collect.

I think it is a case of not wanting to focus on too many things - and right now Leafs, Jays, unopened packs, parallel/inserts, error cards and magic cards - spreads things along enough. May need to consider dropping something maybe and picking up wrestling cards as well. I dunno - just a thought I have been playing with...

Highlights:

A nice grouping of new cards for the set - love the locks on Esposito - flowing as always...

The rest
Keepers:

Nope - not many other keepers though....

Traders:

Yeah, a number of dupes of the Ultra basketball cards - wonder if I will complete the set a couple times over...

Through 2820 cards:
Specific Accomplishments:
- Completed 2007-08 Upper Deck McDonald's Checklist Subset (6 cards)
Hockey Baseball Basketball Football Austin Powers ET Star Wars Rocky KISS Clue
Toronto 56 5
Inserts / Var Kept 92 4
Error 11 1
Keep 774 88
Doubles/Sell 265 15 522 650 231 8 5 2 3 1
Doubles Inserts / Var 19 29 39

4 comments:

  1. I never got into wrestling despite the fact that it was the most popular sport when I was in school- I know who some of the 1990s guys were, and still remember, just from my friends talking about them constantly- but my theory is that if you can afford to collect the cards, and you want to, then go for it! That's worked well for me over the past 27 or so years. Of course, I have so many cards now that finding a specific one is not easy, but that's a good problem to have...they are cheap and plentiful, and have no health detriment, other than a rare paper cut :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can completely see getting so into it that an overwhelming collection (as much as I'd like it) would be too much - so I am trying to keep a slow and steady pace. Also, keeping the trade cards under control so they don't take up too much space!

      Delete
  2. It does get really tough to keep up with a lot of different collections, but I like having a variety of things in my collection. Wrestling cards can be a lot of fun, and you can build a small collection of a favorite wrestler without affecting your other collections too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - I like the idea - and when I get to a point of wanting to reach out from the hockey and baseball collections, I can see it happening...

      Delete