Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Slow days are okay too

Not every pack of cards is a blow away winner, but they don't have to be. Base cards can be solid cards for any collection. Personally, I have no problem getting Jays from base sets in the "junk" era, even if I already have them - I enjoy junk sets as much as others.

On a similar note, I don't expect to hit a home run with every Santa Lot 20 I bring up here. Some times there are decent cards, some new, some I collect, some I have never seen, etc. Today just some solid base cards - some I'll keep and some that I won't, but all are decent as base cards - different sports, different designs, different approaches to presenting the info, but all preserving a little piece of history.

Highlights:
Other than the horizontal design, good basic full pictures:



The rest
Keepers:
I think I've said a couple times before, Victory is a nice little set aimed, I think, at kids and starting collectors. The designs are straightforward and can be simple, but they present the player in simple form, provide pronunciation help on the names of the players, are not overwhelming with stats on the back showing 5 years (not my personal preference, but I understand why) and it works on not overwhelming a new collector.


Traders:
In bigger numbers, the 2006 Score Select cards do look nice - I can see a binder of these being very classy and shiny in look. Even in the scan below, it looks like the Lundy Topps card knows it doesn't below in the same scan and is trying to leave. I do miss that the background is very faded and fades away completely to the top of the card, but can understand the look they are going for with the overwhelming shine...


Specific Accomplishments (through 2420 cards):
- Completed 2007-08 Upper Deck McDonald's Checklist Subset (6 cards)
Hockey Baseball Basketball Football Austin Powers ET Star Wars Rocky KISS Clue
Toronto 45 5
Inserts / Var Kept 90 4
Error 11 1
Keep 679 81
Doubles/Sell 229 13 453 486 226 8 5 2 3 1
Doubles Inserts / Var 17 24 37

No comments:

Post a Comment