Thursday, July 13, 2023

O Pee Chee Highlights It

 First pulling the cards for today from the COVID lot, I saw the telltale signs of late 80s and early 90s sets, which is fine, but didn't get me overly excited. Then, I got to these fabulous keepers on a set I am slowly working on...


Probably the first set I got cards from a couple years after the fact, and the first set I feel in love with the design for. Now, it might be because it was my introduction to baseball cards, but regardless - I love this 1984 O Pee Chee set. As a kid, I foolishly traded away a bunch for newer cards....yeah, 1991 Donruss and similar. I may have won the numbers game in the amount of cards, but I would undo that trade every time now.

The cards here aren't in mind condition or anything, but that's fine for my purposes and collecting this set. I may upgrade some of the cards later if I end up finishing the set and having some horrid quality, but short of that, these are all fine for me, and pretty nice names too!


I was so happy, I didn't do a great job in cropping the other base set keepers. I did however crop my lone Jay addition...


and lone uncorrected error addition...


I am so glad that, as a kid, I didn't even really notice the different borders with retail and factory sets, let alone the dot and no dot versions. I mean, you just cared about the player and card and not the small detail. It was simpler times man!


Pre-Jay Molitor and Carter, and an always fine Ryne. Then, yes, 1991 Donruss...


Definitely a positive day overall, and a fun reminder of times as a kid. I am sure similar feelings that you have to sets that you attached to collecting as a kid. Nostalgia is a fun thing.

4 comments:

  1. Definitely went through some regret for having traded all my 1984 OPC as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still can't tell the difference between the Donruss retail and factory sets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The border changes are such a pain to have to compare and contract....

      Delete