Monday, February 7, 2022

24K

Today, we get to 24,000 cards out of this lot I purchased...a year and a half ago now. Yeah - cheap content for the blog.....but seriously, a blast to go through.

What about you - do you buy card lots or bulk for fun? I mean, with how the hobby has gone, and prices of new cards more expensive and more scarce at times, I think some are drawn to it more now, or to trading more.

What about you?

I definitely have cut down new card spending significantly. New cards for me now usually just means Magic which hasn't seen a massive change in price for new cards, and I can still get what I want at 401games, so the selection is there. When it comes to sports though - new repacks is almost all I pick up now, and even that has dwindled.

So when I get a bunch of cards that don't fit for my collecting...



I try to focus on the positive opportunity it presents of helping someone else while getting something back that does fit my collection.




That's part of why I have so many "back burner" set builds. Just in case I end up with someone who doesn't have much to offer in my team collecting, it's another go to area of cards I am more than happy to trade for.

Oh but Mark, you can stay. I can make a nice home for you.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, congrats on reaching 24K! The Virus has wrecked havoc on the regular collector, not enough for me to buy in bulk though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buying in bulk wouldn't really work for the way that I'm collecting now. As a kid though, I did like buying cheap mixed boxes at garage sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am getting closer to such a point. Bulk still does alright because I am open to adding sets I get a good start on, and have plenty partially done that I add to, but if as those narrow a bit in what my needs are, there's less draw for lots for sure.

      Delete
  3. That's a lot of cards. On one hand, it'd be a blast to flip through. On the other hand... I don't know where I'd store all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I have a bit of room in the basement - but I do see having to sell locally some time in the future - maybe after a good run trying to trade them away. At least I don't really need to get much of anything in selling them since I think I've done well for what I paid for them. Either that or donate them...

      Delete
  4. I'm just now sorting the football half of the 15 monster boxes I got in early 2020. The biggest debate is whether I have enough of the inserts etc. to actually go after some of the sets. It is fun, but I get tired of shifting the boxes around the room so I don't trip over them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy answer - just buy a second house for the cards! ;)

      Delete