Saturday, December 3, 2022

New To Me Newer Cards of Older Times

 Today's COVID lot pullings are a bunch of hockey cards in the "not so retro, but retro subject matter" variety.



These are my first cards out of the 2001-02 Upper Deck Legends 100 card base set. It's one that, even just starting, I love the content and would like to collect. It's not on my "wants" yet on TCDB as there is so much out there I am looking for still, but I wouldn't say no to getting more.

2006-07 Parkhurst, I do have some cards of, so get to add another here.


In 2003-04, Parlhurst also put out six different Original Six sets, one covering each of the Original Six teams, so it's an entire set of Leafs which I only had a couple of before, so nice to get a few more here. Great content too when you can span the entire history of a storied team.


This point card is an insert from one of the other Original 6 teams...no bonus points if you can figure out which one.


I don't know why it makes such a big difference to me, but the In The Game offerings of throwback or vintage player sets, just don't appeal to me the same way as those done by Parkhurst or Upper Deck. Is it just me? DOes this appeal as much as, or more, to some people out there? What am I missing?


I loved the Maple Leaf Centennial set which came out in 2017, but I guess the other side is the Montreal similar set from which Yvon comes, and of which, I have no interest in collecting.

The 2008-09 Masterpieces set, I have loved since I first received cards from the set. I am down to needing just a handful to complete the small 87 card set, but unfortunately, these couple Dale cards are dupes.


Let's end today with some newer cards, that are just newer to me and from a TCDB trade with Setshot68.


I have been lucky enough to have picked up plenty of the 2022 Topps Jays without buying a single pack or card or anything. The wonders of trading! Also nice that a couple of these are uncorrected error cards, so need a second copy of those as well.

The Bo is a great photo, and always love getting another Vladdy too.

The other part of the trade provided some 2020-21 Topps stickers which highlight that there are never enough Carlton cards.

Appreciate the trade and the additions!

8 comments:

  1. ITG Franchises is one of my favorites, especially for the inclusion of early NHL players who wouldn't otherwise have a modern card.

    I also just made a trade with Setshot about a week ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any of the sets, that is what I appreciate - those who wouldn't have any cards, or any modern cards, getting one so more people know about and can at least get one card of such players.

      Delete
  2. UD Masterpieces is one of UD's greatest (if not the greatest) product lines of all-time. The base cards are awesome... but the framed parallels are even more awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was pushed to it - Masterpieces would be my favourite product line and agreed on the framed parallels of which I have...one.

      Delete
  3. I love the Franchises set...it is the only way I could ever gotten a card of some of the older teams. The points from the Parkhurst Original 6 sets were all in the boxes. I got a Rangers box for Christmas last year and got all the teams. I have a Leafs set aside for you but I've misplaced it at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah - could see it going either way on the points cards, but appreciate knowing. If you do find them, do send them along, would love to add them!

      Delete
  4. I built most of these recent sets of older players. ITG Franchises was one of the most fun to complete. It is 500 cards, including the Canadian, US East, US West and Update subsets. It is a bit complicated to fully complete, because it has some very hard to find SSP. On the other hand, tons of guys and early teams we don't see all the time. I also appreciate the design. The Parkhurst Original Six series was also nice to build, but it was a bit repetitive as some players had more than a single card in that set (base, captain, record holder...). Upper Deck Legends was the set I enjoyed the least of the three. I understand the concept, but it was made of pretty much just the retired players we see all the time and I would have appreciated that they went further and included some other forgotten legends. It was somewhat like watching TV show reruns instead of a historical documentary, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, and the forgotten legends are the ones I really like seeing brought into these sets too. I mean, everyone expects the "big names" but what about the unsung heroes - those really help the sets to me.

      Delete