Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Focusing

 The COVID lot has about 120 cards from 2003-04 Upper Deck to go through today. This isn't a set I collect, so no real draw to the base cards other than if they happen to hit my collection otherwise, like errors, but let's take a look.


In focusing on the good - the lack of an all around border, and emphasis on the photo make these good fronts. I won't focus on the foil names as these almost always make it more difficult for me to read. I also won't focus on the banner the name is on because if I did, I would say, yay for the team colour tinting, but boo for the mid-90s rip off design from themselves with the use of the same front image photo as the background for it.


The cards are fine - I mean, middling to me, not too offensive, and nothing brilliant in their look, but it is flagship Upper Deck, so probably drew a number of people to collect it obviously. The horizontal designs aren't too bad either considering.


The backs also have their good and bad. I mean, team colouring is always going to be a plus to me. The full stats - excellent! Now, where the stats don't take up much room, not sure if there could then be better use of the space than leaving it blank, but it is what it is, and O Pee Chee sets generally did the same.


THere are also some really good action photos, like Laroque against the boards. THose do stick out though, I don't find there to be too many, but still some.


Overall, not a single Leaf in the bunch, and no errors, so I am stuck focusing on a "zip" day for keepers, though, still appreciating what the set does have to offer....for those who collect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment