Saturday, January 6, 2024

In A Name

Back to some baseball from the COVID lot, and some "inserts" which really draw the line on whether to call these inserts or not. 


I remember these point cards being something in the late 90s and early 2000s - the point being, you collect enough points and can redeem them for something. Sometimes the cards had no team / logo / player name and they were just "points" cards. I will tend to collect them if I can consider them "inserts" in so much as related to the sport - having team names/logos or players. So, even though it's just a name, I'll collect these as inserts even if not intended to be, like a real insert set related to a release.


Now these aren't inserts, but sure are a pretty set. Ultra, in many ways, always kind of ran parallel to Stadium Club to me. Usually Stadium Club was a better set/design, but Ultra was like Fleer's answer.

It's a great looking set here for 1998 and I'd be tempted to add it to the list of sets to collect if enough came out of this lot, but not there yet.


Definitely some beautiful shots though. I really like the Osuna and Henriquez.

2001 Fleer Future is another decent enough lo0oking set, but an easier pass on collecting with all the wasted space on the front. It does "feel" more high end, but nothing here for me either...

2 comments:

  1. I treat those Diamond Ink cards as inserts as well. I have three different Gwynn ones. Not sure how many variations they made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Diamond Ink points cards, definitely an insert, and I'm working on that set.

    ReplyDelete