Every now and then, I do a look up to see if some of the old sets from Magic have any new inventory on 401games in order to fill some of the holes in older sets. I did that recently with some of the core sets (think revised, 4th, 5th editions, or Magic 2011, for example)
It's nice to be able to just bounce between my TCDB card listing and the website to be able to check what I have and what I am missing. Couple that with a general line of spending less than $1 a card, and the process has helped me narrow down the missing list for a number of sets (as far as artifact card collecting goes), to just a couple higher value cards.
You will see from the scans here, the symbols which are gold or orange colours are the rare and mythic cards, which are harder to pull, but are not necessarily very valuable - see my dollar or less rule.
Makes sense on the older sets, why I would be missing them, as they wouldn't necessarily be easily available at this point due to rarity, even if not an overly used card for game play.
I still enjoy a good big baddie like Scuttling Doom Engine - six for a 6/6, though that seems small compared to a number of the bigger baddies from more recent years.
As you can see, I picked up some of the tokens as well. Since tokens don't have a casting cost, I consider grey ones or ones that specify artifact as being part of what I am including and collecting.
I did pick up some lands as well, and it's the lands that really give me my only "completions" from the cards today as each of the ones below are a one-and-done for lands producing colourless mana in the related sets.
One of these days, I will just go through my minders and cards and make up some artifact decks. Might be interesting to have a couple battle it out.
Next time I get an hour of down time and $20 to blow, I will continue to do this as I didn't even get through all the core sets in just picking these up.







No comments:
Post a Comment