Saturday, August 29, 2026

Magic Update

So, in my spare time of dabbling on my phone, I started going through 401games and each and every set, picking up any cards that I didn't have, which fit my collection, if they were under $1. This might get really expensive, really quick. The below came in around $30 but I did get through all the core sets before and finished the boxed sets and some of the commander sets released, which isn't a HUGE amount dollar wise to spend today, but goes to show that much of what I am missing are not penny cards.


You may see some identical cards from different sets - they do count as different to me - and a bit more on the lands side than I usually do since I was actively looking at lands which produce colourless mana this time. 


Honestly, as long as the lands don't come into play tapped, many of the colourless lands work fantastic in an artifact deck since you don't have any downside for getting the mana, and they usually have some odd ability which can only be seen as an upside.

I mean, even the Molten Slagheap even allows you to build up mana for a future turn - honestly, probably an ability that would mean a lot more in the old days of Magic when games would last a good while - like half a deck or more. Maybe it's just my perception from online videos, but there seem to be more "quick" games, getting the right had or two and being done in 4-8 turns instead of 20-30 - though maybe that's where Commander came in?




My all time favourite lands are the Urza set of Power Plant, Mine and Tower. Essentially each produces one colourless mana, but if you have the set the Tower produces three and the Mine and Power Plant each produce 2. When you don't care about the colour, it's a great way to ramp up play.

Back in the day, my perfect starting hand was a Mishra's Workshop, and then if I had a Voltaic Keep, Metalworker or Mana Vault, I could essentially put out big hoss bad guys second turn. Ah memories. Almost makes me want to pick up the game again, but might get too addicted. I should check out the game online in some form - maybe it would be worth checking out a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment