Tuesday, July 23, 2024

If You Like 1987 Topps Baseball...

 You are going to really love the look of this product...


The box may be a bit beat up, but this was a pick up for under $10 from Pastime Sports in British Columbia. Part of the "hey, they have a lot of wrestling cards that I haven't been able to find and the prices are pretty decent" purchase I made a while ago. The package stars kind of cover it with Cena, who even in 2017 was on his way out schedule wise, Goldberg who was in the midst of a small run back with the company, and Bayley who is awesome and has has been for her entire wrestling career....besides, I think she is still a hugger.


Always like to include the odds for those interested, and for myself for seeing how we do scoring wise.


We start with the base set which is very much 1987 Topps baseball. Not necessarily a bad thing as I like the design here. The base cards here put me up to 37 of 100. I have a blaster box (or maybe two - I can't remember) which should help on the base set front as well.

Pretty good star power, I mean, getting Cena, Becky, Austin, Macho and Foley...heck even Backlund...nice!


These packs, like most wrestling packs, have a few different inserts/parallels which take up a good section of the cards, so we have...


Sweet - that blue parallel Carmella is nice. The blue parallels fall every 16 boxes, so nice one there. The bronze parallels just look like a darker wood grain - but okay.

Other inserts include bizarre matches, all-stars and thirty years of Summer Slam being documented. All good topics, I just so happened to have collected a fair number of these inserts through trades on TCDB and some purchases from baseballcardstore.ca. Not sure I would really call Typhoon or Kofi an All-Star for SummerSlam, but not going to nitpick that too heavily.

We end with a bunch of 30 years of SummerSlam inserts which cover some nice memories. I will say that the Ultimate Warrior and Rick Rude feud was pretty solid, though my fave Rude feud will always be him and Jake The Snake Roberts.

As for this box - the Carmella card saved it a bit because I did have a number of the inserts already...


Not too shabby. I am finding:

- Anything below a 2 is not great, which makes sense as there must be lots of dupes or unneeded cards

- Anything between a 2 - 3 is decent - likely alright coverage of the base set, maybe a decent insert or two

- Anything above a 3 means great base card coverage or fantastic inserts, and the higher number, the better

3 comments:

  1. 1987 Topps was a great design choice for WWE cards. Those all-star cards look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd get more wrestling cards if they had a set focused on the stars of the 1980s. I don't keep track these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, their sprinkling of legends or odd insert set is nice, but not a big focus like this would be. Could be a great product with stars of the past.

      Delete