Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Torturous

 I generally do not like Panini sets and today, we get to start to explore why that is. Don't get me wrong, I know there are many out there that like them, and that's great - glad you do, and enjoy it. It's just not my cup of tea and let's see why.


This was a Dave & Adam's pick up back when I last went there (and when they screwed me on pricing a blaster box which they ran through as a hobby box - a $40USD difference that they did not make up for.....yes, a bit bitter be me). I picked it up for under $10 USD which seems to be a decent price compared to what they go for now - up to a whopping $13-$15USD in most cases.


First, tis is a 50 card base set, but as there are a few parallel and insert sets, the base set feels more like an insert set. Just to put it in perspective, there are 400 insert sets listed on TCDB and 10 parallels. Again, this is a 50 card base set - will be interesting to see how many I get given it's 4 cards a pack.

I pulled one pack aside for the collection, and now have to figure out how to score these cards because the pack odds are nowhere to be seen. I think any "base" insert and the groove cards per the box will be like a base card, double for any non-SN parallel of an insert, and I'll have to figure out something for the SN cards.


Yes, there are 5 packs in the box, and not all created equal. I can tell you right off the bat, one is a fatty and he is going to be coming up last. Better not be a decoy!


So, this is what I mean. If you like variety - great because these look like four different cards from four completely different products. It just gives me a headache. I mean, I love getting a pack of 10 cards, 8 or 9 are base and make a nice looking set, and one or two are special and different.

If every single card is special and different, you lose what makes anything special and different. I guess these are all inserts of one kind or another, so are "keepers" - but as for scoring how good these are....*sigh*

Oh - and on the Titan card, the "line" across at shoulder height - I have seen a few times on cards. I gather it is a printing issue with the effect as it acts like a "dead" zone with no effect through that line. Would you consider this an error card with the foiling?

Okay - so Joe Ryan looks to be "building blocks"...Alonso looks like a standard Clearly Donruss card...Revolution Groove for Hunter....and....Ruby Wave Crusade card of Gil.

The backs are all very different - but the same as well since we have no stat lines on any of them. Well, the Crusade card is serial numbered to 199 which is cool though, so nice there.

Whether I like the product or not, I have a feeling it is going to score well as, even if there is no Jays content, these are all inserts and hard to not have a SN card without some points on odds - so say every 12 packs is reasonable. I have a feeling this box is going to do well and though I won't like to admit it - I'm going to like a bunch of the cards (but still don't like the lack of a "set").

1 comment: