Friday, December 16, 2022

Balls Help!

 You probably either like or hate the front design of 2008 Topps flagship.


The balls team name design definitely stands out. Personally, I like it, mostly because of the team colour use and it's easy to see and recognize, but I can get people not liking it as well. Definitely a preferred design taste.

Wither way, it does help to make the 2008 year design stand out. 2008 Topps is also a set on my slow build because, in part, of the design. The Topps logo intrudes a little bit, but at least the placement is the same every time, a bit different from the "hide it in a corner within the photo" used most years.


As I don't have much of the set, we get an all addition day here, yay! When we get to include The Hoff - no, not THAT Hoff, the one here, Trevor, that's pretty cool too.

Though Mike Piazza as an A - just doesn't ever look right.


Design wise - I can live with the White Sox balls being black and grey...I mean, should have white in there somewhere, but that doesn't really work, so a good adjustment there.

We end with one error card addition, and that's all for now.

I'd probably chalk this set up as one I collect almost just because of my like for the design - what set do you collect because of the design (only - or mostly because of it)?

4 comments:

  1. For me it is the best Topps (design) set of the 21st century.

    It has its flaws that you allude to but ifs like something from the 70s. A slight recreation of the 1972 Topps sets

    2000-2003 - Color borders with 2003 a decent takeoff of 1983 and 1963 Topps
    2004-2005 - Prelude to the 2008 set, a lot of white borders, some design, small photos
    2006 - A nice unique set probably 2nd best Topps set of this century
    2007- A bad take off of 1971 Topps
    2009-2014 - White borders, big photos decent design, same
    2015 - getting rid of the white borders and prelude to borderless
    2016-2020 The border less era - ok
    2021-2022 - White borders smaller photos - ok

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like it, wish I had more of the NBA set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't dislike it, but seeing them all scanned together over a white background has me reconsidering :O

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the 2008 design. I wish I had built the entire baseball, football, and basketball sets when they were more affordable.

    ReplyDelete