Sunday, August 11, 2024

Still A Favourite

 Okay, as we are getting into the last few packs of 2017 Topps WWE cards, I am starting to think I bought this box for a card that isn't going to show up....Rock, where are you?

I guess we may still not have The Rock, but we do have a couple of personal favourites showing up.


Bayley is definitely one of them. The transformation she made from the Hug Life to her change to a heel, and back again to a face with the split from Damage CTRL has been a great career arc and she has done well with. She may not end up being a 10 or 12 time champion, but the way she has worked with and elevated other talents has been great.

In my career as an accountant, one of the values that I have seen really help people in their career has been the ability to teach and bring out the best in others. Personally, it's been rewarding as well in helping others strive to and get their designations, so seeing something similar with a wrestler working with and getting fellow wrestlers to make that step up, it's cool to see and must be great for Bayley from a standpoint of her own personal success.

The Miz falls fairly similarly into the same bucket and a big reason why he is also a personal favourite. I mean, the guy went from being an outsider to the business, coming in from being a reality star, to being able to drive to a career that not only had him personally successful to the point of winning a main event at Wrestlemania, but these days, he is like a gatekeeper in the business, one of those wrestlers who is a veteran that can be paired with or against an up and comer, to really put it to them to drive them to the next level and see if they are capable of being a long term mid or upper card guy.

I don't know how much longer of a career Miz has in him, but as long as he can keep going, I can't see him anywhere else but in that role in WWE.

Another pack where, I at least get a couple insert keepers...but I do still really want that one elusive base card! Not all complaints though, as the Paul Heyman card is the last of the 8 Stone Cold Podcast cards I needed for that insert set, so at least I finished one set with this box!

1 comment:

  1. Sure hope you end up pulling The Rock in one of the remaining packs. Cool Bayley! Discovered a few years ago that she grew up in my hometown.

    ReplyDelete