Saturday, September 1, 2018

A card you probably wouldn't see today...

So hyesterday, I was off work at 1pm ahead of the long weekend, and since we have not been able to make it to the Canadian National Exhibition (the CNE or The Ex) this year, I went for a couple hours. The CNE is essentially a midway/shopping/food/ride extravaganza for the family which runs every year from mid August to the start of school. Personally I go because there is some decent shopping for Christmas that can be started with a number of unique items, etc. The family usually likes it for the midway games, kids section, etc.

Well, I did pick up an interest gift or two, but I just so happened to check in with the sports memorabilia guy who is there every year. As per usual he had assorted repacks of cards at the same price as usual. So, I dropped $20 picking up 28 of these packs, each containing 25 cards or so - a decent price not knowing what the heck you are getting across all sports (though mostly hockey and baseball).

I added them to the stash as I have plenty of stuff again for opening over the next six months or so I think. Heck, I still haven't touched any of the US trip stuff yet.

As for cards today, just opening a $1 hockey card pack from Dollarama - 15 hockey cards. Usually a good variety of cards. Today, actually, a minor league card that I don't think you'd ever see again these days, but first...

An insert keeper!

Pacific never received enough love when they were out. At least, that is what I recall because the sets were so different, they just seemed to "out there", but now I look back on them as being ahead of their time in trying different designs. Mike Vernon isn't ideal being shown as a Shark, but the gold design, in hand, actually looks pretty good, though the scan doesn't really work.

A Leaf card...

Kinda. The card discusses the first all star game where all proceeds went to Maple Leaf Ace Bailey's family. Picture includes Leafs, so good enough for me all in to be a Leaf card.

The keepers...

As promised, a great variety of cards including the first 2001 Signature Series card I have ever seen. A nice card in hand with a cool turquoise colour rather than the dark scan you see here.

As for dupes...

Brian Kilrea here in a photo I don't think would fly today. The awesomeness that is minor league cards! I just can't see Topps or Upper Deck looking for the PR related to cards depicting smoking these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment